April 12, 2009

Life is good, isn't it?

Since I don’t have children, I have time to ponder all things children related. Have you ever noticed how oblivious they are? Dad might be out of work, shuffling through a stack of past due bills, possibly even holding an eviction notice in hand when Billy comes bouncing into the room and interrupts with all the enthusiasm of a lottery winner, “Can I spend the night at Matt’s?!?!” and as long as Billy gets a ‘yes’ answer, all is right with the world. They eat, sleep and play and as long as they are fed and entertained, life is good. Life is simple.

Who would ever unleash the ugly truths of raw reality on a young, innocent mind? Why tell them how it really is, everything there is to work for and worry over? What is there to gain in a child carrying burdens which they can’t control or contribute to? It is a child’s right and his privilege to trust his guardian to manage those affairs on his behalf. This is how it should be and this is how childhood most often plays out.

Sometimes I catch myself driving alone in my car on a beautiful day thinking, “I don’t hear any bombs exploding. I don’t hear any sirens blaring. I don’t see anyone bleeding or dying. Life is good, isn’t it? Am I supposed to enjoy the pleasures of today when somewhere a plane is crashing? Somewhere a village is being ravaged by guerilla warfare. Somewhere a fatal disease is overtaking someone’s body for the last time. Who am I, when somewhere, life isn’t good?”

It is so interesting how, as God’s children, we are supposed to drop our burdens like a child or never pick them up to begin with. We are not supposed to be consumed by anything, most of all worry.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Matthew 6:34

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.” Matthew 6:31-32

“But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak.” Matthew 10:19


Why do we welcome so much pain into our lives by surrendering our thoughts to so much fear? We fear losing loved ones, losing our jobs, our homes. We fear tragedy. We fear sickness. What does fear accomplish my friends? I know I do this and heap years of pain upon myself. I spend countless hours pondering catastrophic possibilities and suffer through the grief of those imaginations when less than 1% of them will ever take place! I wish there was a magic spell I could weave over the floodgates of my mind to protect my thoughts from going down those paths. I see the error of my ways. If only God will help keep my thoughts where He wants them; on His goodness and His sovereignty.

Plan, yes. Prepare, yes. Use the wisdom God gives you to make smart decisions and use the power of the Holy Spirit to exercise great discipline, but do not collect concerns that God has not given you. If the day comes for you or me to bear some monumental burden, then the groundwork will be laid and the tools to endure will be bestowed at the ordained time. Until then, we do a disservice to God and we gravely underestimate our own lives by only half existing in our minds. Let's commit to the instruction of 2 Corinthians 10:5 which states,

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

1 comment:

Joy said...

"Congratulations! You did it!" Love the new blog. I'm a fan of the "blogspot." I just need to take the time to make mine pretty like yours.

Yes, what you speak of has crossed my mind before, especially now that I have kids. While all is right with the world if they get the privilege of going over to a friend's house, the opposite is true when things don't exactly go their way. If I try to look at myself from God's perspective, I'm not much different. The world is so much bigger than us, isn't it?