September 1, 2010

Resenting the Guardrails


I’m a sucker for a real life story of survival. Be it the 16 Uruguayan survivors of the 1972 plane crash over the Andes Mountains or the 28 survivors embanked in the ice of Antarctica during the 1915-1916 sea voyage, I love attaching a name and a face to a true, against-all-odds happy ending. I am confounded at the circumstances under which God decides to intervene and spare individual lives. What made those individuals so special? What made those circumstances exempt from total obliteration? These are examples of God working according to His will and it amazes me.

You may think of survival as something exceptional and rare, but it is not as rare as you think. Life on earth is more treacherous than we realize and we need all the help we can get to stay in the safe zone. I hear horror stories everyday of people falling prey to dangerous predators such as the irresistible female who convinces the middle-aged man that the grass is greener outside of marriage rather than in, the sugar daddy who doles out luxuries in exchange for superficial and immoral companionship, the handsome charmer with words like honey who persuades an insecure woman into casual sex, or a couple grams of cocaine which lure a depressed teen to disappear from reality.

Modern day predators are well disguised. We need all the revelation, daylight and instruction we can get to awaken our senses to the culprits in the shadows. And we have that revelation available in the Bible, God’s written Word. It is divine guidance aligned to form supernatural guardrails around our lives.


“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
Psalm 119:105

“The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.”
Proverbs 4:18-19


Why do people resent and ignore the Word of God, the very light which identifies all snares? Is that you? Do you like to stumble around in the dark?

Going through life with the Word of God is like navigating uncharted territory in full sunlight. If there is poison ivy to my left, I can see it. If there is a briar patch to my right, I won’t fall in it. If there is a rattlesnake up ahead, I know to avoid it. All of my enemies are exposed and each day my discernment improves. I can’t imagine trying to survive in the dark. With alternatives like infectious diseases, heartache, regret, and the fires of Hell, I prefer to live under strict yet merciful guidelines. Why doesn’t everyone adopt the “God makes the rules and I follow them” philosophy?

Guardrails are good things, don't resent them.

No comments: