March 14, 2012

Heavenly Mirrors Reflect God in Us


Can you imagine being granted god-like powers?

If everything was under your control to order according to your own design, what would you do with it? Would you trust yourself to exercise those powers? Or would you be concerned that you might accidentally misuse them? How much do you actually trust yourself with god-likeness?

In light of the latent risks, if you had the option of deferring those powers to a greater, more trustworthy deity, one proven to embody all perfection, goodness, holiness and justice, would you opt for that alternative?

In reality, this exact design is God’s master plan.

This test existed since the creation of the world. It is the very proposition which Satan failed. He was permitted the power to experience god-likeness to the degree that he indulged in self-love, pride and greed. God granted Satan free reign for his desires run amuck. With power, beauty and liberty, he was tested and failed. He challenged God’s authority and rebuked subservience. The battle between him and God was, and continues to be, epic. God cast him to the earth until the day when eternal hellfire will become his permanent domain, and deservingly so. (Ezekiel 28:12-17; Revelation 2:3, 12:9, 20:9-10)

Guess what . . . you and I have been granted the same proposition. Will we show ourselves to be little satans?

We are permitted SO much freedom.

I can take no credit for my own existence, nor can I control the moment of my last breath, and yet I have so much liberty to do what I want, when I want, where I want, how I want. All of these freedoms are tests! I have the power to choose love or hate, selfishness or sacrifice, control or surrender. I have the option of being the center of my own world, my very own mini-god or, I can defer those decisions to another god, or God, of my choosing.

Should I elect a human love object? Maybe a political platform? How about scientific reason? Should I follow a cult or worship luxury? There’s always a god on the throne of our individual worlds. Who or what should I choose? After all, the POWER to choose is all mine (and yours).

 “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Luke 12:48

I read these words and understand that I have been given power and freedom in this brief life to prove my true self. He grants me opportunities to show what I will surrender back to Him. How I define myself in relation to His preeminence will be evident in my use of the powers I am entrusted with right here, right now. The same goes for you.

I am not a god. I am a created being and a sinner. And sinners can’t be trusted with power. But God has given me a lot of it. If I am honest about the wretchedness of my natural self, then I will opt for my good Creator to reclaim the power He has entrusted to me. Freedom and power are always catalysts for testing. I am not ignorant of this. If I select Jesus as Lord and put everything in my possession under His feet, then my trust-worthiness with eternal powers will be proven true.

Yes, you heard me correctly. I believe God intends to elevate us to god-likeness in many ways. He is seeking those who, opposite of Satan, can be trusted with powers resembling His own. Before you suspect that this discussion is a one-way ticket to heresy, please hang with me for a recount of prophecies pulled straight from God’s written Word. He would not have divulged these promises to us without a commitment to fulfill them.

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.” 1 John 3:2        

God’s radiance and holiness is an all consuming fire (Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29). 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 tells us that we will enter the presence of God and “the fire” will try every man’s work. When I see Him as He is, and approach His fiery glory in physical form, I will bring with me the manifestations of all my sinfulness as well as the manifestations of Christ’s righteous produced in me. The fire of His very presence will disintegrate my corrupted parts leaving only the righteous elements remaining. I will be reduced to only HOLINESS, LIKE HIM. All of the dross will be burned away.

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” 1 Corinthians 13:12

Upon meeting God face to face, His all-knowing mind will sear my flimsy faculties and convert my limited understanding into an OMNISCIENT MIND, LIKE HIS. I shall acquire a mind like God’s for I will immediately know as I am known.

“And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.” 1 Corinthians 15:49

Visibly, I will bear the image of God; I will take on His appearance; I will LOOK LIKE HIM.

“In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.” 1 Corinthians 15:52-54

My physical composition will change; from corruptible to INCORRUPTIBLE, LIKE HIM, and from mortal to IMMORTAL, LIKE HIM.

“Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!” 1 Corinthians 6:2-3

There are job openings in Heaven to be filled, judges of the world and judges of angels. Who among us feels qualified to do either? It doesn’t matter how inadequate we are now, when God purges our flaws and weakness, casting our sins far from us, then He will deem us qualified for AUTHORITY, LIKE HIS, lofty enough to even judge angels, of which Satan was once.

“And [Jesus] has made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.” Revelation 5:10

Did you know that you are destined for such an extravagant transformation? The height, depth, length and breadth of God’s good intent toward us cannot be fathomed.

God is on a mission to identify and prepare judge-worthy, king-worthy, and priest-worthy people to populate the new earth and reign over it. His idea of worthy is an abandoned heart which His Holy Spirit can consume. First, the blood of Jesus must blot out sins to sanctify a soul. Then His preparatory refining process begins. The process is painful and lifelong but perfect, intentional, and eternity-focused.

Who can God elevate? Who can be entrusted with holiness like His, omniscience like His, an image like His, incorruption like His, immortality like His, authority like His and a dominion like His? Not an abuser of power like Satan, but one who surrenders power voluntarily to its rightful owner who is God.

Only the one who surrenders completely can be trusted to reign righteously.

As in every case, Jesus modeled what He requires of us in His own life so that the pathway is plainly laid before us to follow.

Jesus said, “The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” John 10:17-18

“For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.”Matthew 16:25

Hasn’t Jesus done enough to explain and display the path we are to take? Everything Satan coveted will be generously bestowed on us if we sacrificially refuse to covet any earthly thing. If we lay down our lives voluntarily, God raises them back up! Resurrection is His motto. JESUS IS PROOF!

“But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you.” Romans 8:11

No comments: