April 20, 2012

Psalm 139, Through My Eyes


“Such knowledge is too wonderful for me.”

In aim to understand the spiritual gift, the word of knowledge, I meandered through the scriptures gleaning fragments of insight here and there.  When I arrived at the staggering statement found in Psalm 139, “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me”, I stopped in my tracks.  I camped out there for a while, reading and re-reading the psalm, seeking to siphon exactly which truths are deemed  knowledge too wonderful for comprehension. I converted the verses into a personal version in light of related scriptures I have learned, read, and experienced.

The items in blue indicate concepts which I have set on repeat in my mind.  Dwelling on these thoughts are gradually reprogramming my perspective of God’s sovereignty. At the close, I will post the King James version of Psalm 139 which I used to draw these interpretations.


Psalm 139, Through My Eyes

-         You [God] invade my privacy and have me all figured out.

-         You know my every move.  You know what I am thinking far in advance of me having the thought.

-         My journey is charted in your mind.  You are fully aware of all my actions.

-         You know every word I speak.

-         You have established a protective hedge around me, within which I am intimately guarded, close enough to be touched.

-         Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. From these visions, I am coming to understand how thoroughly you know me, but I cannot fathom all you are trying to show me.  There must be leagues more which my mind cannot imagine.

-         You are ALL.  Nothing escapes you. Nowhere escapes you.  All is in you.

-         You are the overseer of Heaven.  You are the guardian of hell.

-         You reign over the skies and everything in them.  You reign over the sea realm and everything in it.

-        You hold my hand firmly, leading the way, never letting go of my hand. Wherever I wake to find myself, your good and righteous touch is upon me.

-        With my mouth I profess that I cannot escape the wickedness and evil around me, but despite it, you outshine the filth and mire which reaches up to my neck. You are brighter still.

-         Darkness is merely the absence of light.  Where you are God, the night is as good as the day for you bring light with you and send darkness fleeing.

-        My soul was originally in your possession.  My soul was portioned off from your breath. You took to covering that soul with flesh while I was in my mother’s womb.

-        You are worthy of endless praise! I am merely a created thing and I am humbly aware that you wonderfully intended my life.  My soul affirms this truth, convincing my mind and emotions.

-        You predestined my existence when you formed Adam from the dust of the ground. When you formed him, you formed me.

-        At that time of creation, you foresaw all I would do and all the ways I would sin.  You loved all of me, not neglecting to document one moment of my life in your journal before it began.  The record of me preceded the reality of me.  All of my life is one continuous sequence of events aimed to one end.  None of the seasons of my life can be separated.

-        You think of me, God.  And then you think of me again.  Your thoughts toward me are not angry, loathing or disappointed, but can only be described in one word – precious. Not just one of those thoughts are precious, but all of them, the great quantity of them!

-        The grains of sand do not outnumber the times you have thought about me.  Whether I am asleep or awake, the Holy Spirit in me is always united with you.

-         God, you have reserved a day for wrath and judgment.  I should not pander with those who relish wrongdoing. 

-         In the presence of those who refuse salvation, my ears and mind fill with the garbage that pours forth from their talk.  It hurts my ears to hear you blasphemed.

-         An enemy of my God is an enemy of mine. I grieve the persecution of Christ and His church.

-         In the day of judgment, when my sins have been removed and I have been washed in righteousness, the perfection you bestow on me will make me a worthy judge of unbelievers who rejected you. 

-         Since we have not yet arrived at that day, use today to dissect my heart, my motives, my schemes and my dreams.  Pull down and uproot.  Dig deep. 

-        There is much about me that I do not even know which lingers in my subconscious.  Reveal it.  Show me my depravity that I may strive against it, laboring instead toward eternal pursuits.

Indeed, this knowledge IS too wonderful for me!


Psalm 139 (King James Version)

1 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. .

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments: