May 2, 2012

God is In the Resurrection Business


The neighborhood pool is still tarped and winterized.  No one has arrived to open it for summer yet but the daffodils have bloomed around the entrance.  God has announced His welcome.  He didn’t wait for us. I am seeing and sensing resurrection more in everything and it is coloring my world for good!
Resurrection is becoming my foremost thought on God.   I am not merely meaning the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, unless that one resurrection enables all other resurrections, which I am sure it does somehow.   I mean the quality of God’s nature which is resurrection:  the seasons changing, babies being born, financial recovery, transformation of the mind, and so on.
It should not surprise you that this topic follows the blog I just completed titled ‘Redefining Good’ for resurrection is the latent power at work bringing good out of all circumstances.  It permeates all life and is the key to recovery from loss.  The more we inhale the reality of resurrection, the better we can endure hardship and relinquish pain.
God has resurrection in mind at all times, under all circumstances.  When He brought a flood and destroyed the world, He opened the floodgates knowing He would resurrect mankind through Noah.  When He ordered Abraham up the mountain to sacrifice Isaac, He provided a ram to take his place so that Isaac could be restored to His father.  When Jesus was ripped from His mother Mary and nailed to a cross, God knew He would restore Jesus to her, and better yet, to all of us. 
“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwells in you.” ~ Romans 8:11
This verse reveals the promised resurrection of our physical bodies after death.  How marvelous is the thought!  And yet God’s resurrection power is not limited to our physical bodies.  If the Spirit who dwelt in Jesus dwells in me, then the power of resurrection He displayed over earthly circumstances also touches my earthly circumstances. 
Think about the restorative power Jesus displayed as He walked the earth.  He resurrected wine from water, a meal for 5,000 from five loaves of bread and two fish, health to leprosy sufferers, peace to tumultuous waves, and dignity to a denying disciple.  Jesus reinstated life where there was need, hunger, disease, chaos, and betrayal.  His resurrection touches this side of the grave as well.
Nothing on earth is exempt from God’s resurrection power. Eternal life doesn’t begin in Heaven; it is already active now.  If the Spirit of God dwells in you, then expect things to come to life around you.  We must be unconditional in our expectation of how or when God will accomplish it but He will do it!
I realize I am observing life from a high perch to make this claim.  I happen to be on the upswing from some low and dark years.  At this point in time, God has lifted me up.  Next time, I may have to climb to this view by my own recollection of His mercies.  God always invites us to view life from His high seat.  The mountaintop is always a great place to shout,
But the resurrection!”
One benefit of age and experience is developing, testing, and proving theories over time.  God’s intent on resurrection is one theory reinforced in me after witnessing a history of restorations.  Here are a few:
  • I couldn’t provide for myself financially after college and was compelled to move back home with my parents.   As each year passed, the following year did not bring assurance that financial independence was anywhere in sight.  Resurrection to independence occurred.  It took four years.
  • My first career path was naive.  I stepped backward academically and repeated college.  Career resurrection occurred.  It took five years.
  • I was extremely attached to my first dog.  At five years old she was diagnosed with cancer and had her leg amputated.  I grieved her impending death until I adopted a second dog.  Today my cancer survivor is still with me, cancer-free.  Physical healing for her took two weeks.  Resurrection to emotional healing for me took two and a half years, but it came.
  • I lost my job.  I didn’t know if I would be out of work weeks, months, or years.  Unemployment benefits were denied.  However, the ordeal led to the ideal job for me with long-term potential.  Resurrection to stable employment occurred.  Unemployment lasted nine weeks.
  • My best friend’s husband was killed in a helicopter crash leaving behind her and their six-month old daughter.   I grieved and worried how God would provide for them.  God provided a godly man to embrace their situation and raise their little girl as his own.  My best friend remarried and now has a baby boy.  Resurrection to love and new life occurred.  It took four years.
  • Since my salvation, I have grieved nearly without hope for loved ones who did not know Jesus. At different times I have offered my own life to God in prayer if He would just save the souls of a grandparent, sibling, friends, cousins, and children I babysat.  All have come to faith in Jesus without price on my part. Resurrection to eternal life was constantly at work even when conversion seemed unlikely. 

God is in the resurrection business!   When your days are gloomy and the grave calls, resurrection is at work.  An earthly life in Christ is a perpetual loop of loss and resurrection until we reach Heaven where resurrection is permanent.  Do not be so swallowed in loss that you forget that resurrection power has infiltrated everything about your life.  The resurrection of your circumstance is just around the corner.  And should death be the next step of your journey, can you imagine what waits for you on the other side?  You guessed it, RESURRECTION! 

Insired by the Holy Spirit, Paul proclaimed, "When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true:  "Death has been swallowed up in victory.  Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?" ~ 1 Corinthians 15:54-55

How would it be for us if we viewed loss like a footprint in the snow, on its way out as soon as it arrives?

Who will remember to grieve when comfort returns?  What will this sadness matter then? 

The next time a heavy blow hits, please pause to balance your footing and simply proclaim,

“But the Resurrection!”



1 comment:

Denise J. Hughes said...

"Nothing on earth is exempt from God’s resurrection power."

I love this. It's so, so true. I especially appreciate how, in each circumstance you mentioned, you also included how many years had passed before that resurrection became a "reality." Such as, "it took four years." This gives great hope. Things may not always happen within the time frame that I want, but God's perfect timing is always best.

I'm attending She Speaks. It's my first time. I hope to meet you there! :)